How to Style an Oversized Shirt: A Complete Guide
The Basics of Choosing an Oversized Shirt
When it comes to styling an oversized shirt, the first step is to choose the right one. Here are some key factors to consider:
1. Fabric: Look for a breathable fabric that drapes well. Avoid stiff fabrics that can add bulk to your frame.
2. Fit: Although you want an oversized look, you don’t want to drown in your shirt. Make sure the shoulders fit well, and the length falls just below your hips.
3. Color: Neutral colors like white, black, and beige are versatile and easy to style. However, don’t be afraid to experiment with bold prints and colors for a statement look.
4. Style: Oversized shirts come in various styles, from button-down to tunic. Choose a style that complements your body shape and personal style.
By keeping these basics in mind, you can choose the perfect oversized shirt to elevate your fashion game.
Tucking or Untucking: Which Style Works Best?
Once you have the perfect oversized shirt, the next step is to decide whether to tuck it in or leave it untucked. Here are some tips to help you decide:
1. Body Shape: If you have an hourglass or pear-shaped figure, tucking in your shirt can create a defined waistline. If you have a rectangular or apple-shaped figure, leaving your shirt untucked can create a more balanced look.
2. Outfit Style: If you’re going for a casual, relaxed look, leave your shirt untucked. If you’re dressing up for a formal event, tucking in your shirt can create a more polished look.
3. Occasion: Consider the occasion when deciding whether to tuck in your shirt. For example, if you’re going to a job interview, tucking in your shirt can create a more professional look.
4. Personal Style: Ultimately, the decision to tuck in or leave your shirt untucked comes down to personal style. Experiment with both styles to see which one works best for you.
Whether you choose to tuck in your shirt or leave it untucked, make sure it’s comfortable and flattering for your body shape.
Accessorizing an Oversized Shirt: Dos and Don’ts
Accessories can elevate your oversized shirt outfit to the next level, but it’s important to strike the right balance. Here are some dos and don’ts for accessorizing an oversized shirt:
1. Do Layer with Jewelry: Layering delicate jewelry, such as necklaces or bracelets, can add dimension to your outfit without overwhelming your oversized shirt.
2. Don’t Overdo It: Avoid wearing too many accessories at once, as this can take away from the focus on your oversized shirt.
3. Do Add a Belt: Adding a belt can create a more defined waistline and add structure to your oversized shirt outfit.
4. Don’t Clutter the Look: Avoid wearing accessories that clutter the look of your oversized shirt, such as bulky scarves or large hats.
5. Do Choose Complementary Pieces: Choose accessories that complement your oversized shirt, such as a statement bag or a pair of stylish shoes.
By following these dos and don’ts, you can accessorize your oversized shirt outfit in a way that adds interest and complements your personal style.
Layering an Oversized Shirt: Tips and Tricks
Layering an oversized shirt is a great way to add depth and texture to your outfit. Here are some tips and tricks for layering an oversized shirt:
1. Layer with a Sweater: Layering an oversized shirt with a sweater is a classic look that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
2. Experiment with Denim: Layering an oversized shirt with a denim jacket or vest can add a casual, edgy vibe to your outfit.
3. Try a Belted Look: Belting your oversized shirt over a dress or skirt can create a more defined waistline and add structure to your outfit.
4. Play with Proportions: Experiment with layering oversized shirts with different lengths, such as a longline blazer or a cropped jacket.
5. Add Accessories: Adding accessories like a scarf or a statement necklace can add interest and balance to your layered outfit.
By layering your oversized shirt with different pieces, you can create a unique and stylish look that is both comfortable and on-trend.
Outfit Ideas for Different Occasions with an Oversized Shirt
An oversized shirt is a versatile wardrobe staple that can be dressed up or down for different occasions. Here are some outfit ideas for styling an oversized shirt for different occasions:
1. Casual Outfit: Pair your oversized shirt with high-waisted jeans and sneakers for a casual and comfortable outfit.
2. Formal Outfit: Tuck your oversized shirt into a midi skirt and add heels for a polished and professional look.
3. Beach Outfit: Wear your oversized shirt as a swimsuit cover-up over a bikini and add a wide-brimmed hat for a chic beach look.
4. Date Night Outfit: Tuck your oversized shirt into a mini skirt and add ankle boots for a cute and flirty outfit.
5. Weekend Outfit: Wear your oversized shirt over leggings or joggers for a comfortable and stylish weekend outfit.
By experimenting with different outfits, you can find the perfect oversized shirt look for any occasion.